Fantastic Plastic




Q


uote: "Cheap is cheap." My favorite line from Woody Allen's hysterical comedy, Midnight in Paris. And I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. That said, I have an affinity for all things melamine. I don't know why this is except if I think back I do recall making a custom plate in grade school that I was quite proud of and coveted. Given the properties of this particular form of resin maybe my beloved dinnerware still exists somewhere out there? I'm sure many of my leanings towards the crafts of the 70's are just due to being a child of that era. Modern versions of melamine are becoming rampant and I've spotted their updated incarnations everywhere from Jonathan Adler to Target. These versions from the company Whitbread Wilkinson take my pal "Mel" to a sophisticated level and are embellished with portraits from the collection at The National Gallery. This is exactly the kind of snobbery I'd love to take to my next picnic in the park.

1 comment: